We laughed at the thought, however, when she started comically listing off stuff that she knew annoyed me, we laughed even more. It was actually hilarious how well she knew me, even though I am her mom!
So I thought I would give you a laugh today too, at my expense. Just a little peek into the real me – straight from the mouths of babes.
Things that annoy me:
1. when the wind blows my hair and does strange things to it
2. when the kids leave every light on upstairs
3. when people chew ice or smack their gum
4. when the kids type on the computer too hard
5. sibling rivalry
6. mean girls at school
7. when people step over their belongings that are laying on the floor, instead of picking them up
8. people that do not respond to emails
9. vampire movies; and movies that do not have happy, fuzzy endings
10. when my husband asks me one hundred questions in a row about general randomness
11. when I go to a restaurant and order a salad, and they do not have any low fat dressing
12. freezing cold weather
13. when someone tells me to calm down, when I am so not un-calm
14. people who lie
15. rude people
Just to even the score, and not feel too badly about myself, I asked her to name off some things that she knew I loved, and here were her answers. Again, she was right on target!
Things I love:
1. candy corn pumpkins & Twix bars
2. spending time together as a family; and taking a million pictures of everyone
3. getting a great deal or bargain on something
5. shopping (especially T J Maxx!)
6. Zone protein bars that I have everywhere just in case I want one
7. Christmas; our annual girls outing to the Southern Christmas Show
8. Doris Day and old black and white movies (especially Its A Wonderful Life)
9. favorite movies: Elf, Christmas With The Cranks, Ever After, Overboard
10. playing tennis
12. my special foam contour pillow that nobody else is allowed to sleep on
13. posting blogs about strange, random things
14. the beach; vacations; warm weather
15. seasonal scented candles (especially vanilla, pumpkin spice, and pine needles)
This unplanned conversation turned out to be a fun, spontaneous activity for me and my daughter. Actually, it was a little eye-opening how well she did know me! I guess kids really do pay attention to their parents after all. Kind of scary, huh?!
If you are brave enough, find some time this weekend to ask your kids for a list of the main things that they know annoys you, and the main things that they know you love.
If you are lucky, it just might lead to some laughter, family fun and togetherness of your own – and we can never have too much of that.