With back-to-school right around the corner, it’s easy to get caught up in preparing for all that’s ahead instead of truly enjoying the time remaining in the summer months. Between summer camps, summer jobs and summer chaos, we might even find ourselves marking down the days on the calendar until the kids are back in their classrooms and normal routines resume.
But the truth is, life goes by way too fast and even when our minds might tell us we’ve had quite enough of family time, our hearts will always benefit from enjoying and treasuring every moment. So rather than take this time for granted, it might be a good idea for us to take a step back from the planning and preparing, and remember to enjoy the days we have left of summertime.
Here are a few tips to make the most of the remaining days of summer and keep your time relaxed and family centered:
* Commit to having devotion time with your children each morning or before bed time. Put some routines in place now that you can continue even when school starts back.
For some great ideas for moms about developing bible studies and devotions with your children, visit my great friend Van Walton’s blog today as she discusses great ideas for mothers about developing bible studies, quiet time and devotions with your children. You could also consider purchasing her book called Little Halos .
* Reconsider letting the kids participate in planned activities for the next few weeks so they can enjoy relaxed, unscheduled time at home and learn how to enjoy true down time. The pleasures of life are not always “out there” but sometimes “right here” at home.
* Take the time to stop the busyness of planning, and show your children around your home town.
* Schedule a family bar-b-que to wrap up the lazy days of summer.
* Go to the library and check out some classic story books that children would enjoy. Share a piece of your childhood with them and discuss how life was different when you read those books as a child.
* Even though it might create a mess that we have to clean up later, let the kids run through the sprinkler and enjoy being outdoors. Buy a discounted slip-n-slide and let the kids enjoy it for hours. But don’t leave it in the yard for several days because it kills the grass underneath and you’ll have a visible reminder of their fun for weeks!
* Make homemade fruit juice or soda popsicles (great ideas on Pinterest!) Or bake some delicious goodies together, flour covered faces and all.
* Yes, mud is messy and yucky. But kids love it! If the area where you live has received a lot of rain, let them play in the mud and make mud pies, find cool stones and play in the woods. The bathtub might get dirty but the hearts will be clean and refreshed.
* Stand in the rain. If lightning and thunder aren’t present, encourage the kids to take the umbrellas and play outside in the rain, puddle jumping and all.
* Do some volunteering. Help tend to an elderly neighbor’s yard, work in your own yard, or help pick up litter in a public place. Ask your church if there are people in need. Make some baked goods for a sick or hurting family friend. Clean someone’s home.
* Visit the local produce stand or grocery store and pick up some yummy fresh fruits and vegetables. Have a watemelon eating contest in the back yard and look for new recipes for summer fruit, including smoothies and fun cool drinks.
Through the story of a naughty puppy turned obedient dog, this delightful children’s book includes Bible verses and questions that will encourage the most important dialog you will ever have with your child, one that will open the door to a personal relationship with Jesus.
This DVD is extra special because Proverbs 31’s Renee Swope and her sons are the voices in the DVD, playing the roles of the mom, the dog and the little boy!
To enter to win one of these two wonderful Book/DVD sets, simply share about the Summer Survival Series by selecting one (or more) of the ways below to promote it in your own sphere of influence! You can copy and paste the Twitter or Facebook posts, or just click on the Pinterest link to get to the series board. Quick and easy!
FACEBOOK: Is summer making you stressed? There’s still time to join the summer survival series with Tracie Miles. Join in and enter today’s great giveaway of two book and dvd sets for moms and kids at http://tinyurl.com/9zyulxm (please be sure my name is tagged in your post to be entered to win)
PINTEREST: Visit my Pinterest Summer Survival page and re-pin one of the pins in the Summer Survival Series Board!
If you do not use any social media sites and want to enter to win, leave a comment sharing one way that you keep summer family friendly and relaxed.
All entries will be compiled from Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest and two randomly selected winners will be announced on Monday August 5th.